Agrasen ki Baoli is one of the oldest monuments that exist in Delhi. It is a step-well that exists in Delhi for a very long time but was not of much importance to the tourism industry. It was the Bollywood movie PK starring Amir Khan and Anushka Sharma, and Salman Khan starer movie Sultan that was shot here, brought this place to limelight and to the attraction of national and international tourists. The monument is being protected by the Archaeological Survey of India under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act of 1958. Also, the place is declared haunted by some people, due to the rumors of people committing suicides by the attraction of black water, that spread everywhere.
Interested to know about this amazing piece of architecture?
Let’s peep into history and architecture along with some other info about the place…
The architecture of Baoli-
The Baoli is constructed in the Hindu style of architecture and is 15-meter wide and 60-meter long.
Agrasen ki Baoli has 108 steps and is among a few of its kind in Delhi. The visible parts of this historical step well consist of three levels and each level is lined with arched niches on both sides.
These types of step-wells are more common in the states of Rajasthan and Gujarat due to the scarcity of drinking water in these desert areas.
How to Reach There-
ADDRESS- Hailey Road, KG Marg, New Delhi
- Agrasen ki Baoli is about 16 km away from the Indira Gandhi International Airport. Thus, can be reached by taxi within half an hour via NH 48, the fastest route.
- From New Delhi Railway Station, the destination is about 3 km far and can be reached within 15 minutes through a taxi on a normal day, via Maharaja Ranjeet Singh Marg.
- The nearest metro station is Barakhamba Metro Station, about 650 meters from Agrasen ki Baoli. This metro station lies on the Blue Line of Delhi Metro. The other nearby metro station is Mandi House Metro Station on the Blue line and the Violet line, at a distance of 1.2 km from Agrasen ki Baoli. Another nearby metro station that you can opt to travel is Janpath metro station at a distance of about 2.7 kilometers.
- Various DTC buses are also available from throughout the city to reach the destination in the cheapest costs of travel.
- Another way to reach the place is the use of auto- rickshaws and taxis that take you to the destination with the most comfortable journey.
The timings for the Agrasen ki Baoli are from 9 am to 5:30 pm in the evening. It is open for the visit of tourists on all days of a week.
No Entry fee is charged to the tourists visiting there.
The best time to visit is from October to February when one can get rid of the exhausting summers and unfavorable monsoons. Other places in Delhi like India Gate, National War Memorial, and Jantar Mantar are also worth visiting within proximity. The place is best suitable to visit with family and friends. One can also enjoy shopping at Connaught Place that lies very close to the Baoli. Enjoy visiting there…