One of the most magnificent tourist spots in India, Swaminarayan Akshardham of Delhi stands on the banks of River Yamuna, showering its elegance throughout the world. My trip there was not planned but it just happened, and then it took place among the most beautiful moments of my life. Eternal peace and joy rejuvenated me from the depth and made me realized how fascinating the world of art and culture is! It would have been a matter of huge regret later if I had missed my chance to visit there.
Let’s have a look at this splendid creation of art-
The architecture of Akshardham-
- Akshardham Mandir and Murti- The main temple is 43 m high, spans 96 m wide, and extends 109 m long. There lies a 3.4 m high murti of Swaminarayan seated in Abhayamudra, under the temple’s central dome. The murti is made up of Panch dhaatu or five metals.
- Gajendra Peeth-It is the base on which the temple rests and includes stone sculptures of 148 elephants and various other statues weighing more than 3000 tons. These sculptures express the finest artworks of mankind.
- Yogihriday Kamal–It is an 8 petal Lotus shaped creation situated amidst the huge lawns of the premises. The temple becomes more mesmerizing by this picturesque appearance of the Lotus shaped architecture.
- Abhishek Mandapam- Worshiping of Swaminarayan is done by pouring water on the idol and chanting prayers on special occasions.
- Narayan Sarovar- It is the lake that surrounds the temple and contains the water of 151 rivers. Surrounding the lake there lie 108 Gaumukhs spreading the elixir.
The never to miss things-
There are mainly four wonders of art there – one water show and three exhibitions, and no one should take the risk of missing them.
- Sahaj Anand water show-It is a 24-minute astonishing presentation having story depiction by multi-color lasers, video projections, underwater flames, water jets and surround sound. The fountain measures 91 m by 91 m. Stories of Mahabharat, Ramayana and those related to the life Swaminarayan are depicted here.
- Sahajanand Darshan (Hall of Values)-This hall includes the messages related to human values and based upon the early life of Swaminarayan, which is delivered through robotic presentations, sound and light effects, animations and models.
- Neelkanth Darshan (a movie)- This theater shows a movie named Neelkanth Darshan of 40 minutes duration, based on the early life struggles of Neelkanth. The screen is Delhi’s first and only large screen measuring 26 m by 20 m.
- Sanskruti Darshan (cultural boat ride)-The Boat ride is of around 12 minutes and depicts the glorious heritage of Vedic period including teachings of medicine, science, and technology through robotic presentations. This boat ride gives the most soothing effect to our souls.
How to reach Akshardham temple-
- Address-Akshardham Setu, N.H. 24 New Delhi – 110092 Tel: (011) 4344 2344.
- The best way to reach there is by Delhi Metro as it lies nearest to the Akshardham Metro Station located on the Blue line metro.
- The temple could be accessed by air through the nearest Indira Gandhi International Airport which is around 21 km from there.
- The New Delhi Railway Station is around 7.2 km from the temple.
- Food packets are not allowed inside the premises.
- Premvati Food Court there supplies fresh and vegetarian food, snacks,and drinks to the tourists.
- The visit is a full day-long affair, so appetite should be taken care of.
Timings of Akshardham temple-
- Entry Starts at 9:30 am and ends at 6:30 pm.
- Exhibition tickets availability– 10 am to 5 pm.
- Exhibition Timings– 10:30 am to 6 pm.
- Water Show– 7:45 pm.
- The temple remains CLOSED every Monday.
Entry and Exhibition Fees-
- Premises Entry is FREE of cost.
- Exhibition charges– INR 170(adults); INR 125(senior citizens); INR 100 (child from 4-11 yrs.); Free(child below 4 yrs.).
- Water Show– INR 80(adults and senior citizens); INR 50(child from 4-11 yrs.); Free(child below 4 yrs.).
The security system is well maintained there, I got this realized when I lost my jacket inside the premises. After informing the authorities, within 5 minutes my jacket was recovered by their security men spread all over the premises.
Photography and videography is prohibited. Mobile phones and cameras, food packets, bags, and luggage are not allowed and are made to be kept inside the cloakroom there.
The temple should be visited by taking a full day time to enjoy each and every wonder there. The night view should not be missed. The place is best to visit with family and friends and to create memories for life. Tickets for the visit to Akshardham caon also be booked online on Yatra.com.